Saturday, October 24, 2009

As Italian as Apple Pie


Wine: I Sodi Di S. Niccolo
Winemaker: Castellare of Castellina
Vintage: 2001
Grape: 85% Sangioveto, 15% Malvasia
Region: Tuscany, Italy

It's risotto night over here, but not just your run-of-the-mill risotto night. We're talking raddichio meets shitake meets truffle oil. There were supposed to also be porcini mushrooms, but (and I think we've discussed this before) Pick N Save blows. Anywho, this is a serious meal, full of grown-up, dirt flavors. With this dish, I love how you can go a couple of bites with the creamy, earthy goodness of shroomy risotto and then - out of nowhere - be stopped in your tracks by a truffle bomb. I guess it gets all soaked up by the shrooms and just waits for you to bite into it, so it can knock you over with it's trufflness. So clever. I'm trying to find a way to describe truffle and can only come up with the following - it's so bad, it's good.

What wine could possibly stand up to this kind of insanity, you are thinking? Well, we chose I Sodi Di S. Niccolo (many thanks to Pat and A Young for this inspired wedding gift~more on that later). I Sodi Di S. Niccol is an Italian blend, heavy on the sangiovese and the awesome. You're going to get some dark fruit (perhaps blackberry?) on the nose, a velvet body with nice balance, and a long finish. So long in fact, you wouldn't immediately have to go back, but I did and I recommend that you do too.

Now. Here's where things get really nuts. I made an apple pie. My first ever apple pie. My first ever pie, in fact. Anyone will tell you that I'm more of a chocolate girl myself. This is not a secret. So, I don't really know what came over me. I think it has something to do with the crisp, sunshiny October afternoon we've been enjoying that made me want to take all of that autumn, jam it in a pie, and put it in my face. We haven't tried it yet, but I'm not gonna lie. It looks and smells amazing. Who's to even say what happens when we a la mode this bitch.



1 comment:

  1. Yeah, so, when are we invited over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete